Pages

Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: Essence or Silkygirl?

Hi guys. So recently, a friend of mine asked me that between the two budget make-up brands Essence and Silkygirl (both available at local drug-stores), which I'd prefer. And that kinda got me thinking... Silkygirl is usually the main brand people start out with, or at least it was for me, as at the time I started to use make-up, Watsons didn't bring in Essence and at that time Silkygirl was the cheapest. But now that Watsons carries Essence, I'm going to review which I prefer.



PRICE
My first ever make-up product was a duo eye shadow palette from Silkygirl. I'd gotten it to use for my relative's wedding, and it was like a smoky shade. I'm not sure of the price it was selling at at that time, but I know now it's about $9.90, like around there. In comparison to other brands in Watsons at that time, like Maybelline, L'Oreal, etc..., it was the cheapest. But now reflecting on it, Essence eye shadows are a much better deal. I recently got a small palette of 8 colours (in the post 'Haul 2 July 2012') which sold at $6.50. 8 colours for $6.50 is better than 2 colours for $9.90. Also, the Blockbuster Palette isn't any better. It has 4 colours but for $14.90. Overall, Essence wins the title of cheapest drug-store product. I know here I'm only comparing eye shadows, but their other items are also a steal and still cheaper than other brands.

PRODUCT QUALITY
So this is usually the main thing people look for in a product, product quality. Even though the product may be expensive, people still buy it (take MAC products for example) because it is of very good quality. So which is better based on product quality? I'll be comparing the Silkygirl Blockbuster palette and Essence Glamour to Go Eye Shadow palette. Firstly, I find that the Essence palette is more pigmented than the Silkygirl one. You may think that I'm comparing different colours or shades, but in the picture below, I'm comparing the blue colour in the Essence palette in 'South Beach' and the closest shade of blue I had, which was the blue in Silkygirl's Blockbuster palette in Urban Mood (the colour of it looks so different in the picture >< ) . I also compared the Dark Blue in 'Smokey Charm'.... Anyway, number 1 is the Essence one, number 2 is the blue from Silkygirl's Urban Mood. Last is the dark blue from Silkygirl's Smokey Charm. All using the same amount of eye shadow, two 4 strokes of the brush across. As you can see, Essence still wins..






OVERALL
Overall, I think that Essence is better. However, it is just a comparison between their eye shadows, and it also can be down to personal preference on which brand is better, but for me Essence wins 

No comments:

Post a Comment